10 Nov WordPlay 2015 Photos and Recap
WordPlay 2015 was our third year at the Toronto Reference Library, attracting over 200 people who came to experience and learn more about writerly games.
Interactive fiction author and critic Emily Short began the afternoon with an introduction to why interactive fiction matters, and is satisfying to engage with as a creator.
Scott Benson and Bethany Hockenberry from the development team of Night in the Woods took to the stage in our second session, offering the audience an insightful conversation on how their own experiences have rendered an influence on the narrative of their game.
In addition to our mainstage talks, we also featured our annual curated showcase of 25 playable writerly games submitted from around the world.
Additional features and attractions included free workshops in Inform, Twine and Ren’Py, as well as the interactive storytelling experience of The Choosatron.
CYOA-style author Sherwin Tjia took to the stage in our third session to talk about intersections between his own work as an author and the art of creating narratives within games. The launch of his latest book You Are a Kitten! was held concurrently at the library.
Our fourth session featured developer Kara Stone speaking with Christine Love in a retrospective of her career to date, including a discussion of her upcoming game Ladykiller.
Congratulations to all our WordPlay 2015 Showcase games!
- (ASMR) Vin Diesel DMing a Game of D&D Just For You by merritt kopas
- 50 Short Games by the catamites
- Beeswing by Jack King-Spooner
- Bloom by Caelyn Sandel
- EDDA by Diane Mueller
- Expong Whispers by Chris Baragar
- Final Girls by Spideyj
- Foldscape by porpentine
- Hornets by Kitty Horrorshow
- Invisible by Ruiting Ji
- Knee Deep by Prologue Games
- Last Word by Lannie Neely III
- Lisa vs. the Tornado by Lisa Brown
- Mere Anarchy by Bruno Dias
- Moon Hunters by Kitfox Games
- Oneshot by Mathew Velasquez
- Sun Dogs by Nic Tringali
- That Sinister Self by Astrid Dalmady
- The Beginner’s Guide by Davey Wreden
- The Hollow by Out of the Loop
- The McFarlane Job by Jason McIntosh
- The Writer Will Do Something by Tom Bissell & Matthew S. Burns
- Toby’s Nose by Chandler Groover
- Upon Reflection by Todd Harper
- We Arrived // Chegamos by Alexandra Teixeira Riggs
WordPlay 2015 – Committee
Festival Director: Will O’Neill
Technical Coordinator: Daniel Harley
Submissions Coordinator: Kelsi Morris
Volunteer Coordinator: John Rathiganthan
Members at Large: Kara Stone, Kaitlin Tremblay
Promotions & Publicity: Evan Munday
Festival Identity: Beehive Design
Founder: Jim Munroe